Who is Eligible?
First responders, cleanup workers, area residents, commuters, and others (or their personal representatives) who:
• were present at one of the four 9/11 crash sites at the time of the crashes or were in the following areas between Sept. 11, 2001 and May 30, 2002
• Buildings/ portions of buildings that were destroyed by the attacks
• NYC Exposure Zone (area in Manhattan south of the line that runs along Canal Street from the Hudson River to the intersection of Canal Street and East Broadway, north on East Broadway to Clinton Street, and east on Clinton Street to the East River)
• Any area related to, or along, routes of debris removal such as barges and Fresh Kills
• AND who suffered certain cancers, (including Skin, Prostrate, and Breast), physical injuries as a result of the crashes, or debris removal
• In certain circumstances, people who submitted original Victim Compensation Fund claims may submit new claims to the new Fund.
The new Fund will not accept claims solely for psychological health problems such as post-traumatic stress disorder.
TOXIC EXPOSURE SIDE EFFECTS:
The VCF pays victims for certain cancers, physical injuries, illnesses or death that were a direct result of the 9/11 attacks, as well as certain latent health conditions and diseases included in the World Trade Center (WTC) Health Program:
• CANCERS including prostate, skin, and breast
• Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS)
• Chronic cough syndrome
• Chronic laryngitis
• Chronic nasopharyngitis
• Chronic respiratory disorder
– fumes I vapors
• Chronic rhinosinusitis
• Gastro-esophageal reflux disorder (GERO)
• Interstitial lung disease
• Low back pain
• Other specified musculoskeletal disorders
• Reactive airways dysfunction syndrome (RADS)
• Sleep apnea
• Upper airway hyperreactivity
• WTC-exacerbated chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).